September 7, 2007

Make a move


In my innermost thoughts, I wonder to myself how I can make a difference. There must be something I can do to help those less fortunate. I feel as though it is my responsibility as a privileged American to do something, to make some type of difference. I sit in front of my laptop computer sipping my bottled sparkling water, reading the CNN news brief, and feeling ridiculous for not being able to take action. I know I can make a difference in the world catastrophes; at least a minor one. I feel a sense of guilt as I sit among the comforts of my home of plasma televisions, Ipods, and digital picture phones. My heart tells me that there is something I can do. I cannot board the next flight abroad, but I can choose to influence my peers, thus creating a joint effort in immediate aid. As I head off to my next sororiety meeting, I would ask friends in an effort to collect funds and immediately forward them to a worldwide organization such as Unicef or the Red Cross. With this thought, my guilt eases me as I immediately instant message my girlfriends to assist me in this endeavor.

No comments: